The past year was, to say the least, unprecedented. But through perseverance, courage and creativity, our team served more than 125,000 individuals. You can read all the ways you brought hope last year in the 2020 Buckner Annual Report.
We inspired happiness
Our retirement services associates stepped up to the frontlines of the pandemic and have responded with dedication, courage and distinction. Our six communities combined served 2,205 residents. But more than just being there, our associates served in creative ways and in ways that “Inspire happiness®.”
We served with compassion
During the February winter storm, all six communities faced overwhelming situations, with the loss of electricity and water, but we overcame the conditions and served residents with care and compassion during a difficult time.
We helped the vulnerable during crisis
On the children and family services side, the team pivoted almost overnight in March 2020 and adapted to virtual methods for serving children and families. We’ve said it over and over for a year, but in times of global crisis like this, it is the vulnerable who are more vulnerable.
We’ve seen in this past year, whether it’s the pandemic or the winter storm, vulnerable families face higher mountains to climb out of the crisis.
Even with all the chaos of 2020, Buckner Children and Family Services still reported some strong numbers:
- We served a total of 1,129 children in foster care and kinship care. That includes 828 domestically and 301 internationally.
- We also completed 155 adoptions – 112 domestically and 43 in Kenya.
- Our Family Pathways programs served 484 people.
- Our Family Hope Centers served 11,670 domestically and 29,640 internationally, for a total of 41,310 people. Our domestic client assistance and aid served 974 people, while our international ministries served 26,668.
- Altogether, our BCFS ministries served 79,256 individuals.
- And add to that, 43,956 shoes were distributed through Shoes for Orphan Souls® during a very tough year to give away shoes. We also collected 67,025 shoes in 2020.
We served more than 125,000 people because of you
So, when you add all of it together, including BCFS, BRS and Shoes for Orphan Souls, we served a total of 125,417 people last year. Let that number sink in for a minute. During a year when we had to change and adapt everything, we still served more than 125,000 people.
And then there is you. Because of you and your faithfulness, our donor support was as strong as ever. We didn’t know what to expect, given the global crisis we all faced. And yet our donors provided more than $10.6 million to serve children and families. Our total number of supporters was up by 17% in 2020.
In a year when we could not host donors and volunteers to directly participate in our work, that level of support is truly unprecedented. We are seeing light at the end of the long, dark COVID-19 tunnel. While we never stopped serving children, families and seniors, the past year offered its share of struggles and challenges.
We are now opening our Buckner Family Hope Center buildings to resume in-person services. Now, more than ever, the families we serve need you. The after-effects of the pandemic are leaving desperate families more vulnerable. Please continue to join in shining hope to those who need it most.