Buckner has served children and families in the Rio Grande Valley community since 1971. We provide innovative programming to support vulnerable children and families living in poverty in the colonias along the Texas/Mexico border. We also help support the community through the Rio Grande Children’s Home and other humanitarian aid projects.
Buckner provides the Mission community with training and resources needed to become a family to a child living in the state’s custody or to a child available for adoption in Texas or internationally. Visit www.beafamily.org or call 1-855-264-8783 to learn more about ways you can be a family.
Buckner children are active in the community. They attend public school and participate in many extracurricular activities, including the 4-H program established through the Carruth 4-H Center on campus. An on-campus activities coordinator provides the children with a variety of leisure and recreational activities.
With three cottages, the Rio Grande Children’s Home is available to take care of large sibling groups and small children. Through our home-like atmosphere and Christian commitment, children find the hope and healing they need – and a place to belong.
Latest News from the Rio Grande Valley
McALLEN, Texas – Daniela Cruz* is bone-tired. After a harrowing month on the road from her home in El Salvador, she crossed the Rio Grande River…
Have you been looking for a place to give back, but haven't found the right fit? Buckner International has a wide variety of open volunteer…
Buckner International is seeking families with big hearts and Christ-centered values to fill several open foster group homes on Buckner campuses…
Story and photos by John Hall PEÑITAS, Texas – For decades, the Hispanic Baptist Convention of Texas (Convencíon) has shared the gospel…
Get Involved in the Rio Grande Valley
You can join us in improving the lives of hurting children and their families through one of our Rio Grande Valley programs. Your support is critical to their success.
- Pray. Make a commitment to pray for the children and families of the Rio Grande Valley.
- Give. Make a donation online to support Buckner programs or call 214-758-8000 make a donation by phone.
- Volunteer. For opportunities at the Rio Grande Children’s Home, contact Rogelio Salazar at email@example.com. For opportunities at the Family Hope Center, contact Gabriel Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org. For opportunities with STAR, contact Roger Marcelino at email@example.com.
- Collect Shoes. Host a shoe drive or give a pair of shoes to help children around the world.
- Be a foster or adoptive parent. Learn more about becoming a foster parent or adopting through Buckner at beafamily.org.
Rio Grande Children’s Home
3780 N. Bentsen Palm Dr.
Mission, Texas 78574
Foster care and adoption inquiries: 1-855-264-8783
Buckner Border Ministries
956-584-8626 fax (Colonia program)
Family Hope Center
39614 Mile 7 Road, Ste. 3
Peñitas, Texas 78576
1713 East Tyler, Suite E
Harlingen, Texas 78550
STAR Program (Hidalgo, Camaron and Starr counties)
5425 N. McColl, Suite A
McAllen, Texas 78504