A reading list for children in foster care
It's National Reading Month and it's time to celebrate! Whether you want to pick up an old classic or discover a new book, now is a great time dive into a book.
All month, we'll be posting reading lists for different types of reading. Today, we're sharing some of our favorite children's books explaining foster care.
If you have foster children in your home or have close friends who do foster care, these books will help prepare children for understanding what foster care is and the issues that arise from it.
Keep checking back as we publish additional lists throughout the month. Happy reading!
Recommended children's books for explaining foster care:
- Who Loves Series Bundle – This series is designed specifically to give children a different perspective on the people they interact with while they are in foster care. Each person shows love and attention in different ways, by doing their job or providing protection. The overarching message to the child is you are worthy and you are loved, and we are all here to help bring about the best for you! (3 books for different age groups)
- Kids Need to Be Safe: A Book for Children in Foster Care – In simple words and full-color illustrations, this book explains why some kids move to foster homes, what foster parents do and ways kids might feel during foster care.
- When God Made You – From early on, children are looking to discover their place in the world and longing to understand how their personalities, traits and talents fit in. The assurance that they are deeply loved and a unique creation in our big universe is certain to help them spread their wings and fly.
- Families Change: A Book for Children Experiencing Termination of Parental Rights – Straightforward words and full-color illustrations offer hope and support for children facing or experiencing change.
- Maybe Days: A Book for Children in Foster Care – For many children in foster care, the answer to many questions is often maybe. Maybe Days is a straightforward look at the issues of foster care, the questions that children ask and the feelings they confront.
- Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda – This book introduces the powerful practice of mindfulness and being in the moment. It's not about what happened yesterday or what's going to happen tomorrow. A whimsical and warm presentation to guide readers to a calmer and more attentive mind.
- Murphy's Three Homes: A Story for Children in Foster Care – Murphy, a Tibetan Terrier puppy, describes the emotional ups and downs of being in multiple foster homes and living in unfamiliar surroundings until he is placed in a caring foster home where he feels comfortable and valued once again.
Check out our other reading lists
Reading list for foster families
Reading list for families
Reading list for single parents
Add a Comment