The Parkway Place Way: Senior living community responds to Harvey
Hurricane Harvey brought more than four feet of rain to Houston in just four days.
Parkway Place, a Buckner senior living community located in the heart of Houston’s energy corridor, could have taken a direct hit.
By God’s grace, the community stayed dry and sustained only minor leaks throughout the storm.
While outside waters raged, wind pounded and chaos ensued throughout the city, the picture inside Parkway Place was a much different one.
- Thirty-five staff members spent the night at the senior living community. For five consecutive nights, they slept in various areas, on the floor, away from their own homes—just in case.
- Staff in each area of the community brought their children to work while school was out of session. The children played in the activity spaces, bringing joy to Parkway Place residents while their parents distributed medication, washed dishes and prepared meals.
- Cooks drove to HEB, crossing flooded parking lots and roads to secure fresh fruits, vegetables and bread for the regular dining schedule.
- Administration served Blue Bell ice cream to residents and staff Monday afternoon while rain pounded the community’s windows.
- Leadership held Q&A sessions with residents to keep the community informed of the latest weather developments and emergency procedures.
“We were sitting here well fed, comfortable, dry and watching on TV as our neighbors from near and far struggled with the storm and rain,” reflected resident Paul Smith. “My, how thankful we are. Thankful to the Lord and thankful to Buckner.”
This is the Parkway Place way.
As storm relief efforts continue to grow, Parkway Place is here for its neighbors. If you or a senior adult family member has been displaced by this tragedy, we want you to know we’re here for you.
If there is anything we can do to help you at this time, please reach out to our team at 281-556-9200. We’ve already opened our doors to local senior adults affected by Harvey, and are prepared to help connect you and your family with whatever resources necessary.
Add a Comment