Gingerbread Charity Competition Open to Public
Proceeds to Benefit Buckner Children and Family Services of Southeast Texas
(BEAUMONT, Texas) — A community-wide gingerbread house competition sponsored by the Golden Triangle Chapter of the Texas Chefs Association and the Lamar University Hospitality Program will be held December 2. All entries will be on display at the McFaddin-Ward House and are available for purchase through a silent auction through December 7. All proceeds benefit Buckner Children and Family Services of Southeast Texas. The contest is open to receiving all entries that meet the following requirements:
- Showpiece designs must be original.
- All competitive entries must be made of 100 percent edible food items, except for candy wrappers and the baseboard for the display. Wrappers may be left on the candy. Non-edible support structure material may not be used except as the baseboard.
- All entries in any category must be on a baseboard no larger than 20 x 20 inches and the overall display absolutely no taller than 24 inches. A contestant may create and position multiple buildings or objects on the 20 x 20 board (or smaller). ¾ inch plywood is recommended for the baseboard.
- A 3 x 5 inch card with the name of the gingerbread house and a brief statement about the inspiration for the house to accompany the showpiece.
A bio sheet and application must be returned by Nov. 28 to the McFaddin-Ward House or to Lamar University Hospitality Program. Entries will be judged on degree of difficulty, artistic achievement, work involved, originality and total appearance.
“In this third year of the competition, we at Buckner are blessed again as the beneficiary of this live auction,” said Greg Eubanks, executive director for Buckner. “The work done by Lamar students and all entrants is amazing every year, and these gingerbread houses make great holiday decorations. They are truly works of art. ”
Prizes for the competition will be as follows:
- For the Student Division: 1st Place: $100. 2nd Place: $75. 3rd Place $50.
- For the Non-Professional Division: 1st Place: $150
- Property Division: 1st Place: $250 in the name of the Property to be donated to Buckner Children and Family Services and $150 to the winning chef.
The prize money is sponsored by the Golden Triangle Chapter of the Texas Chefs Association.
All Gingerbread houses will be auctioned by silent auction to the highest bidder. Bidding closes on Dec. 7 at 3:30 p.m. and the winning bidder can pick up the house on Dec. 8 after 9:30 a.m.
“We are so thankful to Chef Charles Duit and the Texas Chefs Association,” said Eubanks. “This auction will help to provide a better holiday for the children served at Buckner.”
Entry forms are available at The McFaddin-Ward House Visitor Center, located in 1906 Calder Avenue at Third Street. For more information, please call 409-832-1906.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Set up 3:30 p.m.- 4:45 p.m.
Competitive Judging 5:00 p.m.
Viewing and Bidding
Wednesday to Sunday, December 3-7, 2008
10:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
The McFaddin-Ward House Visitor Center,
1906 Calder Avenue at Third Street, Beaumont TX 77701
Add a Comment