If you have not volunteered to serve children and families in need, here’s what you’re missing
Many of us want to volunteer to help someone else but many times we don’t know how or where to start. Soon, our motivation dwindles and we settle into the normal grooves of our lives. Doing nothing is easy. But in Romans 10:14-15, Christ called us to do more, to be his hands and feet:
"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'"
By serving vulnerable families and children, you experience the joy of Christ working through your life. If you haven’t served at Buckner, here’s what you’re missing:
- Pure joy. Experience the joy of seeing a single mom overcome the discouraging moments of balancing life, children, school and work after you shared life-giving words of encouragement.
- The sounds of happiness. There’s nothing like laughing and playing with a child in foster care who feels safe and able to smile for the first time. Their eyes light up because you took the time to notice them.
- A chance to impart widsom. Walk alongside young people, sharing wisdom with those who have been struggling to figure out what they will do after foster care. Help them see their future is bright when you share a Saturday morning.
- Unfiltered gratitude. Hearing the words "thank you" from a single mom or foster mom who tears up when you provide a meal to her family on a day filled with appointments or disappointments. Your presence is a reminder they have support to help them succeed.
- A sense of purpose. Holding and praying for an infant in foster care during a child care event to allow their foster parents to receive needed training.
- An opportunity to share your passion. Teaching a skill you love to a group of eager adults who are hopeful to restore their families through a Buckner Family Hope Center.
Volunteering through Buckner International is the opportunity to help change the course of this generation that leads to the next. Will you start that journey today? Visit our Volunteer Central to see how you can bring the good news to meet the needs of the vulnerable in the communities we serve.
Written by Becky Robertson, Buckner ministry engagement coordinator in West Texas. Each day, she sees the impact a person can have by investing the lives of vulnerable children and families.
Add a Comment