A new decade is upon us, and there are more orphans and vulnerable children in need than ever before. Resolve to do something in 2010 to make a difference for one – or more – of the 300 million children at risk in the world.
Below are several options for the ways you can be involved in making life better for children and families this year.
- Consider adoption. You may have never considered taking a child into your home, but this might just be the year to do so. Do you have extra room in your home and heart for a child who may have never known the love of family? Adoption is a profound way to do your part in making life better for orphans – and it’s more affordable than you think. Scholarship support, grants and tax credits go a long way in making this option a reality for your family. Learn more about adoption domestically with Buckner (beafamily.org) and internationally with Dillon International (dillonadopt.com). Or give us a call and we’ll help you know your options.
- Collect shoes. One of the easiest ways to count your impact for children is through hosting a shoe drive for Shoes for Orphan Souls. Each pair of new shoes collected represents a child who will know God’s love in a tangible way. Many orphans receive old, misfit hand-me-down shoes and have never owned anything new they can call their own. This simple gift makes a big impact in their lives and reminds them that they are loved. Find out about the ways you can host a shoe drive in your church or community in 2010 at www.shoesfororphansouls.org.
- Give your resources. The ministries of Buckner depend on the faithful support of donors who recognize the opportunity to create change through their financial gifts. Regular monthly donations can make the biggest impact on Buckner’s ministries because of their steady support. The Voice program at Buckner allows for monthly giving at just $25 a month and can help support any number of our international programs. You can even designate where you want your gifts to go. Contact a Buckner Foundation gift officer at 214-758-8050 today to learn about the ways you can be a blessing to others in this way.
- Volunteer. Opportunities for volunteerism abound at Buckner. Consider becoming a respite care provider for foster families in Texas; volunteer to help sort shoes at the Buckner Center for Humanitarian Aid in Dallas; or learn about the ways you can mentor a child or participate in one of our after-school programs statewide. Contact us to learn more about the options where you live at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take a mission trip. Buckner arranges for dozens of individuals and church groups to travel and visit our ministry locations worldwide where teams can participate alongside national staff in ministering to orphans, hosting medical and dental clinics, providing manual labor and more. Their support is critical in helping Buckner staff, sometimes in remote locations, access materials and manpower needed to help impoverished children and communities. Learn more about missions opportunities with Buckner at www.itsyourmission.com or call Susan Williams, director of missions support, at 214-381-1442 or 1-877-7ORPHAN.
- Commit to pray. One of the most powerful ways you can support our ministries in 2010 is to commit to pray. Our weekly prayer e-newsletter provides prayer needs and praises for God’s work through our ministry. Your commitment to prayer for Buckner can help us meet our goals for building God’s kingdom in 2010. Sign up for the prayer e-mail here and make a commitment to prayer.
What are you going to do to help orphans, vulnerable children and families in 2010? Use the comment feature below to tell us what you’re going to do.