Top 10 Ways to Do Something in 2011
The New Year is here and we’re all looking for ways to improve our lives. Why not look for ways to improve the lives of others, too? We’ve made it easy for you to get started with these simple ideas below.
1. Go on a mission trip. Churches, organizations and individuals are finding a renewed sense of purpose through one to two week trips delivering humanitarian aid, leading vacation Bible school (VBS), hosting sports clinics, building homes, spending time with orphans and more. If you’re an individual, check out the available trips at www.itsyourmission.com. If you’re planning a trip for your group or church, call us at 1-877-7ORPHAN and let us work with you to find the best ways to use your gifts to serve others.
2. Volunteer at the Buckner Center for Humanitarian Aid. Volunteers are needed on a daily basis to sort and process shoes and humanitarian aid coming in and out of our warehouse in East Dallas. More than 300,000 pairs of new shoes are processed each year. It’s fun and easy for adults and children, and especially great for large groups. Visit www.shoesfororphansouls.org to find out more today!
3. Host a shoe drive. It’s easy to organize a shoe drive with your church, community group or business. We provide all the materials you need, including posters, flyers, and DVDs to help make your shoe drive a success! Learn more at www.ShoesforOrphanSouls.org/host.shtml or call us at 1-866-774-SHOE.
4. Consider foster care or adoption. What better way to make an eternal difference in the life of a child than to foster or adopt? Buckner provides many options for singles and couples to be a family through foster care, foster-to-adopt, domestic and international adoptions. Learn more at www.beafamily.org and www.dillonadopt.com.
5. Mentor a child. Buckner after-school programs provide wonderful opportunities for mentors to spend quality time with a child, helping them with their homework and teaching new skills to build self confidence. E-mail us at email@example.com to see what opportunities exist in your area.
6. Sponsor or participate in special events. Buckner hosts a number of local special events in communities across the country, including our annual golf tournaments, sporting clay shoots, clothing and shoe drives, and more! Look for opportunities to sponsor an event through your company, or to participate in an event, on our events Web site at www.bucknerevents.org.
7. Join the Birthday Club! Instead of asking for gifts this year, consider asking your friends and family to bring a new pair of shoes for an orphan in need. Adults and children are invited to participate in our birthday club! Learn more at http://www.shoesfororphansouls.org/birthdayclub.shtml.
8. Be a voice. Our Voice monthly giving program makes it easy for you to give a designated amount to support orphans, vulnerable children and families each month, knowing every dollar you give meets someone’s immediate needs. Learn more at http://www.buckner.org/voice.shtml or call us at 214-758-8000.
9. Make a donation. The current financial crisis is challenging for everyone, but no one knows this better than the orphans and low-income families we serve every day. Your gift helps meet their needs. Go online to make a donation at www.buckner.org. You can read more about our financial accountability at http://www.buckner.org/financial-account.shtml.
10. Connect with us online. Follow us on Twitter @buckner_intl, watch our latest videos on You Tube at or “Like” us on Facebook. You can also sign up to receive our weekly Faith Focuse-mails to keep you on track throughout the year. Help us spread the word about Buckner!